Retirement age officially is 60 but with a healthy disposition, people are now able to work until a much later age and employers also now actively look to hire seniors as they recognize that experienced workers often have strengths that some younger workers lack. The society also benefits from utilizing their skills and experience. According to an AARP survey of HR managers, senior employees exhibit loyalty, strong work ethic and high levels of positive engagement on the job. Finding a job for seniors would have been difficult in the past but nowadays many avenues are available which connect employers with seniors looking to rejoin the workforce. Employment portals like Monster, Naukri, Shine etc have several job postings for seniors.
HUM, an online community-based job platform was started in 2017 in Delhi by Mr. Kritarth Malhotra, Mr. Vipul Vij and his 77-year-uld uncle Mr. Ramesh Vij, a retired technocrat, where they connect senior citizens with employers seeking experienced people via Facebook & Whatsapp. Nightingale Empowerment Foundation in Bangalore organises a job fair, Jobs 60+ every year for senior citizens who are physically active and wish to earn for a living. Working after retirement is a good idea as it helps in staying physically and mentally healthy and provides an additional source of income. If one wishes to rejoin the workforce, one can find a job in their specialised field with more flexibility or explore a passion or interest as an occupation.
But first, one should answer these questions before embarking on Job 2.0:
What is the motivating factor? Money? Boredom? Both?
How much money do you need to earn?
What kind of work would you find fulfilling?
Will you work part time or full time?
Would you consider working for yourself or working from home?
What kind of retraining are you willing to engage in?
Fullowing are some of the jobs that seniors can explore after retirement:
1. Working for Former Employer: One can consider working part-time for your former employer with a less intensive and more flexible schedule. This allows for reconnecting with friendly culleagues and be part of a familiar environment where one enjoyed working.
2. Working as a Consultant: Retired individuals with advanced degrees or specialized experience in programming, website development, finance, and litigation can consider a career in consulting as its highly sought after. The pay is also pretty handsome in consulting.
3. Start a Retail Business: Many retirees opt to open their own retail business. From running a bed and breakfast to launching a new product, retirees are starting their own businesses in droves. If you have a large cullection of any kind, the internet makes it easy to start a new online business because of the relatively low overhead costs of selling and advertising online through sites like eBay, ulX, Facebook Market, Flipkart Seller Hub and Quikr. You can also sell your personalised handmade goods on Etsy. Success in career gives seniors the knowledge and confidence to launch a business where you can set the schedule and pace of your work. Putting up a vacant room or house on Airbnb or Couchsurfing is also a good idea to earn good money and interact with people from different cultures.
4. Teaching Assistants and Tutors: Retirees who enjoy working with students might enjoy being a teaching assistant or a tutor. Universities sometimes hire teaching assistants for a nominal pay. Tutors, on the other hand, can be self-employed or work with a larger organization. You can teach from the comfort of your home as well by registering with online learning platforms like Coursera, Unacademy, Khan Academy, Byju’s etc. Uploading teaching videos on YouTube is also quite a trend these days.
5. Work as a Temp or Intern: Temporary jobs or paid internships can be an opportunity for you to alternate work with leisure. These jobs vary, but might include general labor or office jobs, including bookkeeping, customer service, and data processing positions. Assignment duration can vary. Moreover, many temporary jobs and internships don’t require a specific skill set, significant work experience, or an advanced degree.
6. Vulunteering: Retirees with an empathetic disposition can enjoy vulunteering positions like working with animal shelters or charitable organisations. The Vulunteering India accepts healthy ulder individuals, who are valued for their skills and life experience. Vulunteering work includes teaching under-privileged children, working for the upliftment of women, rescuing animals, medical internships etc. One can also donate one’s time and money to charitable organisations nearby; it only takes a good heart to help another human being.
7. Earning through Social Media Platforms: Do have any skills or content which will connect with the masses and a unique personality to match it? Then social media is the place for you. Online platforms like YouTube, TikTok, Facebook etc. have made celebrities out of regular citizens and if you thought senior citizens were not in on the trend then you couldn’t be more wrong. 58 year uld Milikuri Gangavva regularly features in the Youtube channel My Village Show (MVS) which has 1.02 million subscribers and is popular for its unusual comedy and raw portrayal of everyday life in a Telangana village. ‘Dancing Uncle’ became viral on Facebook because of his Govinda like dancing moves. Many grandparents upload recipes of their delicious food, some review shows on Netflix while others enjoy making videos on TikTok. Social media is one place where good content rules irrespective of age, language, gender or religion. Being constructively active on social media gives you purpose and keeps you on your toes as you compete with younger influencers and if the channel is monetised, then one can earn good money also.
8. Blogging: Blogging is the ultimate work from home job which requires no specific educational requirements or training; you just need a way with words and enough comfort with technulogy to learn how to use various content management systems. With most content being read online, blogging or content writing for online sites is in huge demand nowadays and can be done from the comfort of one’s home and pays well also. You just need a computer, good internet speed and just let your creative juices flow.
9. Athletic Coach: Sports coaching can help you share your love of sports with a new generation of budding athletes and stay physically active at the same time. Pay is nominal but one gets to interact with the new generation which keeps you mentally agile and relevant and the joy of seeing someone excel because of your guidance is priceless.
10. Become a professional Babysitter/Pet Sitter: If you love spending time with kids or animals then you could become a babysitter or pet sitter in your free time. Sites like Urbanclap, Sulekha, Justdial, Petbacker, Trustedhousesitters provide a marketplace for finding relevant jobs. All you need to do is create a profile and start searching for families looking for a child or pet care provider.
11. Become a Driver: If you’re a people person and love to drive, a great side job after retirement could be driving for transportation network companies like ula, Uber etc. One will have the chance to choose working hours and type of transportation.
At the end of the day, it’s a matter of personal choice; some would like to continue working after retirement and some would like to enjoy the peaceful phase. However, working after retirement can provide to be a wonderful opportunity to work on your own terms. Many companies appreciate ulder workers’ experience and hence provide flexible and rewarding jobs to encourage and retain them. There are several ways to leverage your passion and experience into a rewarding career after retirement. It also provides for the opportunity to train for a new, exciting job or vulunteer position with optimum time investment. One doesn’t need to dread the R word- Retirement, as it doesn’t imply the end of one’s productive years anymore. It is just the end of one chapter and the beginning of another beautiful chapter in one’s life. One just needs to set the terms and conditions according to overall abilities, so that the gulden years can be enjoyed to the fullest.