Being physically active is an essential ingredient for the health and wellbeing of the human being.
As the schools are shut due to Pandemic the children’s are locked at home all day, spending their time onscreen for classes and for recreation. This has restricted their movements which is essential for early years of life for the growth and development of the child. Here are a few tips for engaging your children in a fun way to stay active and attentive till the school reopens.
• Make a visual schedule for children and keep the rising and sleeping time consistent – When we have a set of plan for the day, it is easier for a parent to take out the time for themselves and for the children’s as well that what is expected out of them at a certain time, for children with special needs it is really helpful as the child is not frustrated of any new changes and to keep a track of what is done and pending.
• Movement breaks – Long duration of sitting might create obesity and incorrect postures leading to muscle aches in back and neck, so short but frequent break are needed , children should be provided a designated place with the table and chair for 90-90- 90 degrees position for ankles, knees and hips, when required try getting up for having a water break .
• Engaging in household chores – We can engage our children in daily household chores, this will help them move them their body in a productive way and an added helping hands for the parents .For example cleaning their room, sorting their cupboards and shelves or setting up the dining table for lunch or dinner (age appropriate task to be provided), Helping with preparing a meal will have enormous benefits. All these activities will keep the child busy and will help them improve their planning, organizing and thinking skills and fine motor skills. Even for kids with special needs we can engage them in these activity that will help them be regulated and calm, we just have to provide the clear and simple instructions.
• Engaging in fun activities – Treasure hunt :We can hide the items and let the child find the items , Indoor picnic – Make your living room a picnic spot having some food , arrange small obstacle course using pillows, chairs ,stools and let the child walk through it. Play memory games,sing along and make it fun.Drawing and playing hopscotch game.
• Engaging in yoga and breathing exercises – this will help child to be flexible and balance self.
• Engaging in attention activities: Sorting basic pulses( kidney beans and chick peas) in two bowls, finding alphabets in a sheet, sorting the pairs of socks ,playing with ice cream sticks to make patterns will help all kids.
Hemie Gupta, Hemie Gupta is a graduate of the New York University with a medical background in dentistry from the United States. She moved to India 15 years ago for personal reasons and since then has had extensive experience in management of various business ventures in this country. Over the last two years after the birth of her daughter, she has developed a keen interest in working on child health issues. She became intricately involved with and led the renovation and revitalization of the Child Development Center at the Sunderlal Jain Hospital in Delhi, India along with the Rotary Club and Dr. Mehrotra. She is currently working in the capacity of Managing Director to develop the My Whole Child Center for Special Needs in Delhi as a patient centered medical home for children with special needs.
Other posts by Hemie Gupta
Join 1000+ of fellow readers. Get expert real estate knowledge straight to your inbox absolutely free. Just enter your email address below.