Being physically active is an essentialingredient for the health and wellbeing of the human being.
As the schools are shut due to Pandemic thechildren’s are locked at home all day, spending their time onscreen for classesand for recreation. This has restricted their movements which is essential forearly years of life for the growth and development of the child. Here are a fewtips for engaging your children in a fun way to stay active and attentive tillthe school reopens.
• Make a visual schedule for children and keepthe rising and sleeping time consistent – When we have a set of plan for theday, it is easier for a parent to take out the time for themselves and for thechildren’s as well that what is expected out of them at a certain time, forchildren with special needs it is really helpful as the child is not frustratedof any new changes and to keep a track of what is done and pending.
• Movement breaks – Long duration of sittingmight create obesity and incorrect postures leading to muscle aches in back andneck, so short but frequent break are needed , children should be provided adesignated place with the table and chair for 90-90- 90 degrees position forankles, knees and hips, when required try getting up for having a water break .
• Engaging in household chores – We can engageour children in daily household chores, this will help them move them theirbody in a productive way and an added helping hands for the parents .Forexample cleaning their room, sorting their cupboards and shelves or setting upthe dining table for lunch or dinner (age appropriate task to be provided),Helping with preparing a meal will have enormous benefits. All these activitieswill keep the child busy and will help them improve their planning, organizingand thinking skills and fine motor skills. Even for kids with special needs wecan engage them in these activity that will help them be regulated and calm, wejust have to provide the clear and simple instructions.
• Engaging in fun activities – Treasure hunt:We can hide the items and let the child find the items , Indoor picnic – Makeyour living room a picnic spot having some food , arrange small obstacle courseusing pillows, chairs ,stools and let the child walk through it. Play memorygames,sing along and make it fun.Drawing and playing hopscotch game.
• Engaging in yoga and breathing exercises –this will help child to be flexible and balance self.
• Engaging in attention activities: Sorting basicpulses( kidney beans and chick peas) in two bowls, finding alphabets in asheet, sorting the pairs of socks ,playing with ice cream sticks to makepatterns will help all kids.
Hemie Gupta, Hemie Gupta is a graduate of the New York University with a medical background in dentistry from the United States. She moved to India 15 years ago for personal reasons and since then has had extensive experience in management of various business ventures in this country. Over the last two years after the birth of her daughter, she has developed a keen interest in working on child health issues.She became intricately involved with and led the renovation and revitalization of the Child Development Center at the Sunderlal Jain Hospital in Delhi, India along with the Rotary Club and Dr. Mehrotra. She is currently working in the capacity of Managing Director to develop the My Whole Child Center for Special Needs in Delhi as a patient centered medical home for children with special needs.
Other posts by Hemie Gupta
Join 1000+ of fellow readers. Get expert real estate knowledge straight to your inbox absolutely free. Just enter your email address below.